Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just Beyond the Tear Drops Reveals Bright Smiles


I am not deliberately writing in the color purple because it is my favorite color, but I choose this color to honor a life that was lost. The love of the color purple is just one of the commonalities I had with the person not only I lost, but many of us lost. On October 22, 2009, God called Melva Jean Crutchfield home at the tender age of 24...only 4 days before your special 25th birthday. That was the week of Bethune Cookman University's Homecoming, and the 60th anniversary of our chapter, DynAmic Delta Alpha Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. It was to be an exciting time...celebrations with friends, family, greeks, students, professors...but what I was looking forward to the most was FINALLY taking a completed #14 picture (meaning all the #14s from our chapter from 2000 to 2008) were going to be all together for a Homecoming. No one will understand us 14s and how special and unique we are...we have a strong bond like any of the other numbers that have come through DA. It is something special with all of us...we communicate with each other unlike any other number. 

Melva was not only special because she was my number,but she was also my baby duck. I was her DP, her Delta Madre that I brought her into the chapter with the rest of her LSs...the 19 Iconz of Integrity. They were my last batch of baby ducks before graduating from the Great BCU and moving on. I am always thinking about Melva and carrying her with my in my mind and in my heart. I miss Melva so much, but I find comforting in knowing how much love she had here on Earth and what an impact she had on those she came across during her time here. Although her her life here on Earth is done, she is still living, living in another place that many of us hope to see after our time here is over. I find peace is knowing that she is living on and is happier in her eternal life, and I know that she is looking down on us all, and waiting for our time (whenever that may be) to join her with open arms. I love you always and forever MJC #14 DKA: "IQ #5"







They are not dead,


Who leave us this great heritage of remembering joy.



They still live in our hearts,
In the happiness we knew, in the dreams we shared.



They still breathe,
In the lingering fragrance,windblown, from their favourite flowers.



They still smile in the moonlight’s silver,
And laugh in the sunlight’s sparking gold.



They still speak in the echoes of the words we’ve heard them say again and again.



They still move,
In the rhythm of waving grasses, in the dance of the tossing branches.



They are not dead;
Their memory is warm in our hearts, comfort in our sorrow.



They are not apart from us, but part of us,



For love is eternal,


And those we love shall be with us throughout all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment